Roosevelt Exterior Project
Since November 2011, District 90 has been engaged in a systemic planning effort to consider potential solutions to identified safety and student use issues on the Roosevelt Middle School campus. The Board of Education directed the staff to begin looking at ways to improve the functionality and safety of the school site at that time.
The progress of the plan has been reported at Board and Committee of the Whole meetings, by local media, and at district PTO Council meetings. The District also provided information directly to residents through a series of informational postcards sent to all River Forest homes in 2013 and 2014, and in the District's Primer e-newsletter, as well as through this page.
The Administration has communicated regularly during the planning process with Roosevelt's institutional neighbors, including the River Forest Public Library, River Forest Park District, River Forest Tennis Club, and the nearby First Presbyterian Church, as well as residential neighbors and other community stakeholders.
An initial draft of the proposed campus improvement plan was presented at the January 8, 2013, Board of Education meeting. Also in January, administrative staff went door-to-door to meet with and/or provide written information about the project to the residential neighbors surrounding the school.
In February 2013, the Board held a Community Meeting to gain additional feedback about the draft plan. Based on comments received, the Board determined that more time was needed to solicit further feedback and involvement of all interested community members before making a decision about the project.
The Board endorsed an Action Plan that outlined the process that has been used in considering additional stakeholder input and communicating progress with the community (please see links below). The Board followed this process to ensure that the implications of the proposed project are fully considered before finalizing elements of the proposal.
This page will provide information and updates about the plans as they proceed. For more information or to make comments, please contact Anthony Cozzi, Director of Finance and Facilities, [email protected]or 708-771-8282.
Initially, an 11-person planning committee including Roosevelt staff (some who live in River Forest), parents, and District 90 administrators worked with civil engineers, architects, and traffic specialists to develop solutions to identified campus issues. Seven new members were added to the Committee in November 2013, including community residents, parents and a Roosevelt Middle School student (for a full list of committee members, please contact the Administration office). The expanded Committee presented its recommendations to the Board of Education for review at its December 16, 2013, Regular Meeting.
Board Vote - April 21, 2014
The Board of Education voted to approve a revised plan presented at its Regular Meeting on April 21, 2014. For more information about the planning process, please see documents and drawings posted in the Documents section below.
Board Approves Roosevelt Plan - September 15, 2014
The Board of Education voted to approve a plan for at its Regular Meeting on September 15. The vote advances the process and begins the next steps of communicating with Village officials and the DRB. Please see the most recent overall site plan posted in the Documents section below.
- Roosevelt Exterior Project Updated Configuration
- Submission to Village of River Forest for Minor Amendment of Planned Development Permit #2718 (February 18, 2016)
- Roosevelt Exterior Project Revised Plan Presentation (December 14, 2015)
- Roosevelt Exterior Project Revised Plan Drawing (December 1, 2015)
- Roosevelt Exterior Project Update (May 5, 2015)
- Traffic and Safety Commission's Recommendations on PRI (November 2014)
- Roosevelt Middle School Campus Master Plan (PowerPoint Presentation) October 2014
- Frequently Asked Questions: October 2014
- Roosevelt Exterior Project -- DRB Process Calendar (October 24, 2014) Please note: DRB public hearings scheduled on November 20 and December 4, 2014 will be held at Willard Elementary School, 1250 Ashland Avenue, River Forest)
- Roosevelt Middle School Overall Site Plan Drawing (September 17, 2014)
- Roosevelt Middle School Sub-Area: Traffic Planning Study (August 15, 2014)
- Mold Inspection Report (June 9, 2014)
- 500 ft. Residents Meeting Presentation (June 2, 2014)
- Planned Development Process Timeline (May 23, 2014)
- Presentation to Development Review Board (May 22, 2014)
- Frequently Asked Questions: May 2014
- District 90 Board Approves New Roosevelt Exterior Plan, Restarts Village Review Process: Special Board Meeting replaces Resident Meeting scheduled at 7:00 p.m., April 28 (April 23, 2014)
- Revised Plan Drawing (April 17, 2014)
- Resident Meeting Notice: Public Meeting Concerning Proposed Change in Parking at Roosevelt Middle School, 7:00 p.m., April 28, 2014 (posted April 10, 2014)
- Press Release: District 90 Delays Roosevelt Exterior Plan DRB Meeting (April 2, 2014)
- Rough drawing of proposed parking solutions developed through a collaborative discussion among elected representatives of District 90, the Village of River Forest, the River Forest Public Library, and the River Forest Park District (presented to the Board of Education on April 1, 2014)
- Press Release: District 90 Board Modifies Roosevelt Exterior Project Plan (March 18, 2014)
- Resident Meeting Power Point Presentation (March 12, 2014)
- Village of River Forest Planned Development Process Flow Chart
- Letter to Residents RE: March 12 Meeting Notice (February 24,2014)
- Press Release RE: March 12 Meeting Notice (February 25, 2014)
- TADI Parking Study (Report dated February 12, 2014)
- District 90 Board Approves Roosevelt Exterior Renovation Plan (Press Release and Drawings/Budget, December 17, 2013)
- TADI, Inc., North Lot and Library Utilization Characteristics Video Study (performed November 12 through November 14, 2013)
- Press release about the Public Forum (October 29, 2013)
- Click here to view documents from the Public Forum on October 28. These include a brief overview, functional needs inventory, updated drawings, and anticipated costs for the most recent version of the proposed Roosevelt Exterior Project.
- Proposed Project Goals (October 24, 2013)
- Community Postcard reminder about the Public Forum (October 2013)
- Updated Oak Avenue Concept Drawings and Cost Estimates (Discussed and withdrawn from consideration by the Board of Education, October 21, 2013)
- Community Postcard (September 2013): Project Update, Public Forum Notice
- Updated Drawings and Cost Estimates Presented to the Board of Education, August 19, 2013 (posted August 20, 2013)
- Action Steps Overview (posted May 20, 2013)
- Updated Drawings and Cost Estimates Presented to the Board of Education, May 20, 2013
- Action Plan Update (posted April 28, 2013)
- Community Postcard - April 2013 (posted April 11, 2013)
- Community Postcard - March 2013 (posted April 4, 2013)
- District 90 Primer Newsletter - April 2, 2012 (posted April 4, 2013)
- Press Release (posted March 8, 2013)
- Frequently Asked Questions (posted March 7, 2013, updated March 19)
- February 27, 2013, Community Meeting Presentation (posted Feb. 28, 2013)
- Roosevelt Conceptual Master Plan Drawing (posted Feb. 28, 2013)